As part of our efforts to contribute to the development of a worldwide network of researchers in educational assessment and evaluation, IEA offers academics the opportunity to visit the IEA Research and Analysis (RandA) Unit in Hamburg, Germany. This academic visitor program enables visiting researchers to develop their own research projects while benefiting from the individual support of IEA Hamburg experts working in different fields related to international large-scale assessments.
In addition, IEA, together with WERA (World Education Research Association) and LIDS (Literacy in Diversity Settings) at the University of Hamburg are pleased to announce the WERA Visiting Researcher Award call for 2024. The visiting researcher will be co-hosted by the University of Hamburg and IEA Hamburg. The program lasts for six weeks in 2024. Awardees will receive a grant of €3,500 to cover their travel, stay, meals, public transport, and other subsistence costs during their six-week stay in Hamburg. The deadline for applications is Thursday, 29 February 2024.
The main aims of the program are to:
- Contribute to enhancing the research projects of the academic visitors by providing support from an international and cross-sectional team of experts;
- Provide visitors with direct access to IEA data and resources in order to help them carry out their research projects;
- Provide the opportunity to collaborate with IEA research staff and promote networking within a worldwide research community.
Expectations and advice for the visitors:
- Academic visitors are expected to work on their research project using IEA data;
- Academic visitors are encouraged to initiate a collaboration with our experts on a specific research project, ideally aiming for a joint publication;
- Academic visitors are expected to present on their work within the IEA internal colloquium series.
Academic visitors will be provided with:
- An academic mentor for the duration of their stay;
- Expert support for specific topics on request;
- A working place, a personal computer with basic software (upon request), access to internet, printer, telephone, and basic office supplies.
Visits typically last between one week and two months. Extended study visits may be arranged upon request.
Read about one of our visitor's experiences
Academic visitors will need to cover all expenses related to their stay at IEA in Hamburg, including, but not limited to, health insurance for themselves and any accompanying dependents. Visitors may also need to pay bench fees if their visit is longer than two months.
To qualify for an academic visit to IEA in Hamburg, the applicants will need to:
- Work on a research project related to IEA studies during their stay;
- Obtain the necessary visa and arrange their own travel to the IEA office in Hamburg, Germany;
- Cover the costs of their travel and accommodation, as well as their living expenses during their visit;
- Present proof of valid medical insurance coverage while they are in Germany;
- Be able to communicate fluently in English.
To be eligible, visitors must meet all five conditions. If you cannot meet one or more of these conditions, please consider postponing your application until you can comply with all of them.
Please provide the following documents:
- Letter of request including the preferred dates for your visit, the general objectives of your visit, and the specific activities you would like to focus on;
- Your CV with a record of publications (if applicable);
- A proposal or research protocol referring to the focus of your visit. This must include the following items:
- Literature review
- Expected results.
We accept applications four times a year. Deadlines for each cycle are 31 March, 30 June, 30 September, and 31 December. All applications are reviewed by our academic committee. Candidates will be notified of acceptance or rejection within four weeks of the relevant deadline. Please be advised that academic visits can commence earliest 6 months following the respective deadline.
Please send all documents via email to the HR team at IEA Hamburg. Applicants are requested to insert 'Academic Visitors Program' into the subject of their email when submitting the application.
Please be assured that the information you send us is used only for the internal review process and will never be passed on to any third party.